At the Lay Licensing Service in October 2023, four Licensed Lay Ministers from across the diocese were given new roles within our diocese, to support Bishop David in his task as the Warden of Readers. As well promoting licensed lay ministry, one of their particular aims is to build networks and links between LLMs and LLWs across the diocese, to deepen our community and learn from one another.
Su Brakewell LLM in Sholing, Bruce Viney LLM of Bournemouth St Swithun’s, Stuart Bailey LLM of Darby Green and Eversley, Mark Ward LLM of Fordingbridge and Hyde and Breamore and Hale with Woodgreen, are now working closely with Bishop David with many ideas to nourish the future of LLM ministry in our diocese.
The LORD has chosen you to stand before him and serve him, to minister before him’ (2 Chronicles, 29:11). I am very honoured and delighted to be asked to serve the Diocese’s community of LLMs and LLWs, those of us chosen to stand before Him and serve.Bruce Viney, Deputy Warden
Other areas of responsibility for the Deputies include:
- Convening regular LLM & LLW gatherings to disseminate information and training opportunities including promoting Continuing Ministerial Development, meeting annually with the School of Mission to consider LLM & LLW training requirements;
- Acting as an additional point of contact for LLMs & LLWs and incumbents for pastoral or training needs where a third party might be helpful;
- Praying for the LLMs & LLWs in the designated area;
- Meeting regularly with the other Deputy Wardens to discuss matters of common interest;
- Meeting with the Warden of Readers, at least every six months, as a group to discuss LLM & LLW issues.
Each of the four deputies look after a deanery, perhaps two, and are looking for one or two more colleagues from other deaneries to join them as deputy Wardens. If anyone is interested in the role, please get in touch with Bruce Viney (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mark Ward (email@example.com).
I am really excited about this opportunity to build a community of licensed ministers to enable us to support the ministry of the diocese. As this is a new role with lots of options we will continually review our objectives to ensure they are appropriate. For example, we have already redesigned the LLM/LLW review paperwork for use between the LLM/LLW and the incumbent to make it more appropriate to our distinctive ministries.Mark Ward, Deputy Warden to LLMs